FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
If you are searching for methods to keep your lock system in perfect order, find the best answers here. They are practical and invaluable! Learn more about lock systems and solutions below:
Why should I use a professional locksmith?
Professional locksmiths have all the experience and knowledge needed to solve the most demanding security issues. Professional locksmiths also have the right tools to get the job done in the right manner reducing unnecessary damages to your car, home or business. We are also licensed, bonded, and insured for your protection.
I moved into a new home. Should I change the locks?
The answer is not necessarily. You definitely want to protect your home from unknown people who have keys to the locks on your home. You could replace all of the locks or you also could have all of the locks re-keyed. This means keeping the same locks but having them use a different key than the one that opens it now. An advantage to having all of the locks re-keyed is that all of the locks can be re-keyed to one key saving you the hassle of having to carry around so many keys.
What is lock bumping? Should I be worried?
Lock bumping is a technique exposed recently that allows someone to use a bump key that has been specially manufactured to open any lock of the same type with the bump technique. This is very troubling because most locks can be compromised with this technique and you cannot detect any forced entry. To prevent this, high security locks with anti-bumping measures such as, Medeco and Mul-T-Lock, should be used.
Do you have any security tips to enhance my home security?
- Purchase the highest level of security that your budget will allow. High level security is recommended by the Police Department and Insurance Companies.
- Use the best quality locks to secure gates leading to your fire escape.
- Turn off the telephone ringer when you are away from home for an extended period. An unanswered telephone signals to intruders that no one is home.
- Install a 180-degree peephole so that you can inspect your hallway without opening your door.
- Ask to see the identity of someone claiming to be from the utility or telephone company. A genuine worker will be pleased that you asked and will give you their card. Inspect the card carefully before allowing them to enter your home.
- Re-key your locks immediately if you lose your key.
- Ask your locksmith for a valid license, he must carry one.
- When in doubt, ask for advice from your locksmith or from the Crime Prevention Officer at your local precinct.
- Tune the stereo or TV to your favorite station when you leave the house to indicate to an intruder that someone is at home.
- Leave your keys in or near the lock where it might easily be seen and taken by a thief.
- Leave a spare key outside your home. Most hiding places are obvious to intruders.
- Mark your keys with your identification or address.
- Leave a message on your answering machine revealing that you are away from home.
- Leave notes on your door, even when you’re at home.
What can Locksmith Minneapolis do for you?
Having a roof over your head will keep you safe from the forces of nature. But fitting your house with the right security system and/or locks is absolutely essential to make sure that you are safe from burglars and criminals as well. Whenever you are moving in to a new house or apartment in Minneapolis, be sure to consult an experienced and well reputed locksmith Minneapolis to help you make the right decisions to create a secure and safe environment within your new space.
When locked out of my car, should I hire a locksmith?
Yes, with today’s advancement of the manufactures security system of your vehicle you could cause further damage by trying to pick the lock yourself. Today’s locksmith professionals carry the right tools and know the proper techniques to unlock your vehicle in a timely matter.
My car keys are lost what is my next step?
Looking for the key code would be your next step then calling a locksmith to make you a key using the code given by the manufacture. Not all codes are alike for all vehicles. To locate your code you would need to look on your buyer’s receipt. If you are not the original buyer this might not be available. Once this code is located you should call a locksmith and make him aware that you have the code.
Can I prevent lock rust completely?
Not completely. However, you may reduce its impact through regular lubrication and cleaning. Make sure that you use a product that will not collect dust. Apply to the key and then twist but not onto the lock directly. Set up a regular maintenance schedule.
What extra security systems must I install?
Apart from having good security door locks, make sure the windows have excellent locks, too. You can also put CCTV and alarm systems as well as light motion detectors around the house to light up the darkest parts of your house. Install a wall panel, which can inform you if someone is getting in.
Is having a lock cylinder together with a restricted key better for security?
Not necessarily. As explained by the professional crew at Locksmith Oakland, restricted keys are typically designed to provide protection to commercial property, and thus, employees are not expected to have a copy of the key. However, there are other locksmiths who can provide illegal re-keying.
What are the other locksmith tools used for cars?
Aside from the slim jim and auto jigglers, other common tools that locksmiths use are the long reach tool, euro-strip and the pump wedge. The long reach tool is a sectional tool that the locksmith uses to reach inside a car from one door on the outside to the opposite door on the inside. The euro-strip is specialized in higher-end car access like that of Mercedes-Benz, Volvo and BMW.